Are you looking for a first job or wanting to grow in an energy-related profession? Are you interested in contributing to the energy transition and having an impact on everyday life? At TotalEnergies, we have positions for you in oil, gas, electricity, hydrogen biogas, digital technology, information technology, communications, finance, human resources, legal affairs and more! The diversity of our activities means we have a wide variety of jobs and professions that require specific skills, expertise and know-how.
Take a look at our 20 main categories of jobs and professions:
Varied activities, hundreds of implementations worldwide, multicultural employees, important flow of strategic information which daily transits and which has to be saved safely.
Dedicated Information Systems & Information Technology staffs (ISIT) have to face all challenges and to meet at the same time the complex and diverse users' needs and the continuous evolution of technologies...
The ISIT Managers main missions consist in:
- Assessing and analyzing the needs of all players and translating them in terms of information systems and networks infrastructures.
- Implementing systems and application methods in each entity of the Company, respecting a global and coherent ISIT policy.
- Ensuring the running, the evolution and the confidentiality of these systems.
They conceive and integrate these applications for the best possible use of the company co-workers.
Support and maintenance IT professionals supply all the daily necessary help to tools' longevity, troubleshooting users if needed.
In each affiliate, on the field, Administrators, in relation with their head office co-workers, put at their disposal and adapt IT tool to Metier and Operationals specific challenges and needs. They also make IT & networks interface with external partners of TotalEnergies company.
These ISIT teams rely on Infrastructure & Telecoms specialists who conceive, build, secure and maintain all the Company networks, essential link for information transit.
Science and technology are of key importance to sustain TotalEnergies' businesses in realizing their strategic objectives of driving profitable and sustainable growth, developing competitive top-tier industrial platforms, responding to customer needs by providing innovative and energy efficient solutions and securing the energy future by focusing on solar energy and biomass.
Research and development (R&D) contributes to this by providing focused and efficient improvements on existing processes, products and technologies as well as by identifying, assessing, developing and implementing new fields of science and technology. Therefore, R&D operates according to state of the art processes covering intelligence for external developments, designing a portfolio of programs in response to short, medium and long term needs of the businesses, managing projects and studies by stage gate from laboratory scale to pilot scale and accompanying proper implementation of results and knowhow.
Striving for understanding phenomena at work, maintaining and developing existing and new competencies and fostering innovation as a source for competitive differentiation are the underlying drivers for R&D to accomplish its mission. R&D puts open innovation to practice and develops and maintains collaborations with external partners to enforce fundamental understanding, appeal on new or complementary competencies and explore new areas in science and technology.
Finally R&D protects intellectual property rights on results and know-how through the construction and maintenance of a balanced patent portfolio.
Geoscientists and reservoir engineers are the major players in the exploration, appraisal and Geoscientists and reservoir engineers are the major players in the exploration, appraisal and development of oil&gas fields. They acquire, analyze and interpret subsurface data in order to obtain the best possible 3D representation of "petroleum reservoirs" (rocks in which hydrocarbons are found). The techniques used range from advanced methods in seismic imaging to numerical modeling of reservoirs. Such models not only make it possible to coherently synthesize all the geological information available but also to predict the future behavior of a field. Geoscience and reservoir teams carry out Geology, Geophysics and Reservoir Engineering studies on areas where hydrocarbons are explored and produced (fields), based on documents and data made available and prepared by the Geoinformation métier.
- Geologists and geophysicists, or geoscientists, try to describe, understand and reconstruct, in each area studied, the deposition and evolution over time of the various rocks. They base their reasoning on observations at multiple scales: rock samples taken from the surface, images provided by satellites, etc.
- Petroleum geoscientists work essentially on two types of data: borehole data (well data), used to characterize the nature of the different geological layers crossed by a well, and seismic data, to mainly characterize the geometry of these layers. The seismic images obtained after processing the field data are interpreted. Their consistency with the well data makes it possible to generate a model of the subsurface, in order to identify and/or characterize possible accumulations of hydrocarbons.
- When an accumulation is suspected or confirmed by one or more wells, “Reservoir engineers" are responsible for evaluating the available hydrocarbon reserves, studying the production potential of the field and proposing the technical means allowing the optimization of this production. They help to develop scenarios and plans for field development that lead to specific recommendations: number, nature and location of wells, drilling schedule, production profile.
During this entire process, data analysis and preparation, in addition to providing access to qualified, validated and relevant data are essential steps.
The process of developing reserves begins with geological and seismic surveys by our Geosciences teams to confirm that the area contains oil, after which the Drilling teams design a drilling program, then conduct operations in compliance with strict safety and environmental standards. Their job also involves analyzing and optimizing technologies and procedures and selecting the equipment best suited to needs. In Venezuela, for example, satellite technology was used to guide the bit through the subsurface millimeter by millimeter.
The first job in the process consists of drilling an exploratory well to confirm the presence of oil or gas at the previously identified location. If oil or gas is found, the teams drill delineation wells to trace the outline of the field. Finally, development drilling begins, and with it the commercial operation of the field. Upstream, the Drilling team also undertakes workover programs or completion work, which involves the installation of piping, valves and wellheads. Whether carrying out preliminary studies, conducting front-line operations, monitoring suppliers and partners or managing contracts, Drilling teams play a vital role in our production chain.
Industrial Projects covers all the disciplines and support functions needed to successfully build a wide range of new facilities. Whether consolidating gains within existing facilities or developing new fields, Industrial Projects promotes the long-term viability and expansion of our industrial resources worldwide. Industrial Projects is always at the cutting edge of innovation. Our teams also have to take into account wide-ranging factors to ensure successful project completion. Team members are bound by production constraints, deadlines and budgets, but also by environmental, health and safety requirements, which are essential components of our sustainable development commitment. From upstream feasibility studies to worksite supervision and management of project operations, Industrial Projects plays a key role, both for the company and for all its frontline employees, since their working conditions often depend on the quality of the project.
- The first job is FEED (front-end engineering and design), which is expected to deliver all the elements of the new project, its layout, design and feasibility, together with plans, diagrams, cost estimates with supporting justification, and timeframes.
- The next job is general project management, for implementation in line with specifications and health, safety and environmental regulations. These teams organize the project before handing it over to the construction and site supervision teams, who are responsible for supervising construction, commissioning the new facility and monitoring compliance with quality standards. In particular, they ensure that people and property are safe and that the host country's sustainable development principles are observed.
All the operational disciplines to operate a production unit are put together in Field Operations/Operations. They cover all production activities, process engineering, or laboratory, in compliance with the rules of safety and environment, costs and deadlines. The Operations / Field Operations are on the sites.
Process engineering discipline/positions has/have also major challenges. Thus, the know-how and the competencies of the process engineers, who work on oil desulphurization in refineries, has already made it possible to reduce very significantly the sulfur levels, a clear improvement in the preservation of the environment.
It is also important to count on laboratory technicians who carry out tests and experiments on each of the products entering and leaving the sites. And, when we know, for example, that a refinery can produce more than 200 references, we can imagine how these disciplines should be at the forefront of technology.
Within each facility operated by TotalEnergies and its partners, Maintenance Inspection Technology disciplines plays a key role to ensure the availability of facilities by preventing and resolving technological and industrial hazards. To achieve this objective, the technology teams propose innovative solutions and define the optimal technical specifications, according to REX and industry evolutions, follow up the specifications of technical standards and establish the derogations. Maintenance Inspection Technologies teams are in charge of defining a maintenance inspection policy, choosing technologies to be integrated into our projects / operations, and implementing the necessary preventive, corrective and curative actions, on short and long terms.
Due to its various disciplines; and specific missions, this domain of activity is considered as one of the most diversified. In fact, the maintenance should be in close and permanent relationship with all the functions of each facility. The missions are sorted by specialty, such as Electricity, Instrumentation, Mechanics, Rotating Machinery, and / or by activity such as Inspection, Preparation, Supervision of operations, Shutdown coordination, etc. Every 3 to 5 years, the global shutdown of a facility is a strong moment requiring preparation, coordination, management of teams, taking decisions, and mastering safety.
Inspection and maintenance teams are permanently improving their methods following technology evolutions. Often involved in the preparation of Inspection and maintenance from the first stage of the installations’ design, they are more generally responsible for detecting, repairing and ensuring reliability to guarantee the integrity and the performance of the installations.
The technologists’ teams made of a pool of experts are HQ and affiliates’ business partners. They are referred to on the most critical cases during the operations of the facilities, on the design / definition of the necessary requirements for new projects as well as for innovation in new technologies applicable to our future facilities.
H3SEQ, which cuts across all our businesses, is a close, integral part of our global strategy, both internally and externally.
- The Hygiene and Safety teams are expected to help achieve the goal of zero accidents across our organization-on production sites, in ground, sea and air transportation, and at all our facilities around the world. They prepare plans and guidelines and see that they are applied, while fostering the safety awareness needed to optimize working conditions.
- To protect property and people and to prevent any criminal acts, H3SEQ also encompasses disciplines concerned with site security and surveillance.
- To manage our overall footprint (environmental, economic, social, etc.) and to drive local development wherever we operate is our goal. We promote an approach based on dialogue and seek to build relationships that are mutually beneficial for both our activities and the countries and communities that host them. The Environment is certainly one of the most commendable and ambitious priority. Accordingly, every site and every plan for a new facility is examined by the teams responsible for implementing our environmental policy, in a commitment to abating pollution and reducing its impact.
- The Quality team is responsible for coordinating and monitoring the application of our quality policy on operating sites and for ensuring that the company is developing in compliance with ISO 9001 / 9004 standards. The goal of the team members is to coordinate their quality expertise and conduct audits designed to encourage all employees to embrace our quality policy.
TotalEnergies' petroleum and chemicals operations produce superior products that include gasoline, oil, paraffin, lubricants, solvents, fuel oil, asphalt and bitumen, natural gas, butane and propane and chemicals. Our Marketing, Trading, Sales & Procurement teams efficiently design and market products and brands and purchase others to supply our own operations.
Our Marketing teams coordinate everything used to promote our brands and products, Including, pricing, packaging, special offers, retailer incentives and advertising. First, though, they analyze markets and buying patterns to design the most appropriate product and determine the right price point. Our Sales teams are responsible for growing our product and service sales. Organized by segment (product lines) and / or region, they are supported by the Sales Administration teams, who manage and organize order tracking in line with production and procurement parameters. Customers range from airlines and large companies that purchase directly from the refinery to end users, who buy home heating oil or, at service stations, gasoline and liquefied petroleum gas (LPG). Marketing strategy is critical to our success in crude oil and derivatives trading.
Traders supply our refineries with crude oil and our marketing subsidiaries with petroleum products. And operators make a crucial contribution by managing transactions, such as letters of credit, invoicing and contract tracking. Trading teams are also active in the markets and buy and sell cargoes, as well as negotiate ship charters.
Procurement is a key consideration for the Company. It is essential to the efficiency of the Company’s operations. Buyers contribute to cost optimization and risk management by a methodical management of our suppliers.
Team working, they ensure reliable supplies to our sites and systematically search for synergies at Local, Branch or Company level. Understand and anticipate the business needs in order to optimize procurement – at the heart of the Company's competitiveness. Because of the very large range of the Company’s activities, buyers manage very diverse calls for tenders and contracts, in terms of procurement categories, complexity, scope, lead times, amounts... as well as very different markets and supplier relationships. The procurement activity requires a close collaboration with other services (marketing, production sites or IT...); a key element of procurement performance is the ability to anticipate, in order to better analyze the needs and to consult the market in the best possible conditions. The job requires more than just negotiation: it includes a strong capability to analyze and challenge business needs, to monitor markets, to manage a supplier panel, to make sure suppliers are in line with principles of our code of conduct, to optimize our stocks, to ensure international movement of the purchased goods, to communicate on the terms of contracts signed and make sure they are used appropriately... a job with a very large scope!
With operations worldwide on land and sea, logistics-product storage, transportation and distribution-represent a major challenge for TotalEnergies. Our logistics teams are critical links in a highly complex supply chain that extends from refineries to service stations, from gas fields to domestic boilers, and from pipelines to tanker trucks. And that's because one of the things we're judged on is the quality of our services and delivery to end-users. So logistics optimizes the supply chain from end to end and our experts study ways of improving procedures and raising safety standards, using the latest technologies. A good example is the optimization of service station supply schedules.
Our logistics teams manage the flow of goods using a wide range of transportation modes chosen to fit the product, its place of origin and its destination. And state-of-the-art systems are often deployed in road, air, rail or maritime transportation. Storage area and inventory management is also the responsibility of logistics teams, working in conjunction with Customs. This is a demanding operation, since storage capacity is limited and has to be managed in real time to keep pace with constantly changing supply and demand. Handlers, storekeepers, forklift operators, drivers and aircraft refuelers are also part of Logistics.
Lawyers are critical to the stability, growth and sustainability of an international company like TotalEnergies, which has to adapt to complex international legislation with very strict rules, particularly in the areas of insurance, health and environmental protection. With operations worldwide, TotalEnergies has to deal with widely varying national legislation as well as thousands of corporate and private clients. Legal expertise is therefore critical, in areas ranging from maritime law to real estate law, not to mention commercial law and trademark law.
Our business law specialists are on the front line, since they defend, protect and promote our interests and represent us in the transactions carried out by the Company and our subsidiaries worldwide. They prepare and negotiate commercial, financial, joint venture and licensing agreements and resolve any legal problems arising from contracts, while ensuring compliance with international competition law. We sometimes have to call on Litigation and collection specialists to collect arrears, in or out of court, in cooperation with our lawyers. Labor law specialists are part of the Human Resources Department, and Insurance law specialists and Taxes / Customs specialists are part of the Finance domain.
Our growth strategy aims to ensure that our improved performance goes hand in hand with our commitment to responsible, sustainable development. The Strategy Economics Business (SEB) disciplines support the company's development and translate strategy into tangible action programs in our regional subsidiaries or in specific markets. Programs focus on a range of areas, from economic intelligence and planning to the responsibilities of profit and development centers.
The steps for defining the strategy go through a thorough and objective understanding of the environment and specialized activities such as Business Intelligence (Market Intelligence and Competitive Intelligence). To do this, it is important to define the scope of action taking into account our strengths and weaknesses of potential fields to identify our business objectives. Economists develop and optimize economical models for new business and development projects.
This intelligence is often what enables the business development teams to identify and create new opportunities for TotalEnergies, in line with strategic growth targets.
Management of commercial and industrial profit centers, such as refineries, and responsibility for a geographic region or product line make up the business aspect of SEB. In terms of markets, the teams recommend and direct marketing strategy to promote sales in a given segment (often broad and covering several countries). The product managers, for their part, optimize the profitability of their product line.
The Finance and Accounting teams define and deploy the procedures needed to implement TotalEnergies' financial strategy. They leverage an extensive range of resources to communicate information about our financial situation, in real time, to both internal and external audiences. In this way, our Finance teams paint a picture of the Company’s financial health.
- Management accountants check the reliability of results and forecasts, as well as prepare and monitor budgets.
- Corporate finance and cash management teams organize banking transactions, including credits, loans and financial arrangements with customers, to enhance the profitability of the units and communicate information. Tax experts define tax strategies to support the strategy of Company’s subsidiaries worldwide.
- For their part, Middle / Back Office specialists are responsible for our trading rooms and supervise trading operations.
- The Risk Management and Insurance evaluate the risks for the Company, promote risk prevention and reduction policies in collaboration with HSE, functional and operational Management.
- Of course, none of this would be possible without our Accounting teams, who manage our day-to-day accounts in compliance with the rules and laws of each country.
A company like TotalEnergies needs to leverage multiple communications vehicles and resources across different media to build a corporate image that reaches different target audiences-not only customers, shareholders, partners and society at large, but also employees. Communications is responsible for developing and projecting our image to build a strong reputation, which is paramount to our success, in addition to reflecting our outstanding performance worldwide.
Communications comprises a number of teams, whose functions are defined by the managers in charge of crafting our communications strategy. The teams are divided into several departments responsible for Image & brand, Media relations, Sponsorship team, Digital communications, Editorial & Publications, Public Relations & Events. The Communications team develops communications materials and ensures that they are distributed to all our employees worldwide.
The Human Resources function of the Company aims to efficiently match employees and jobs on a sustainable basis, in terms of total headcount, qualifications, motivation and diversity. The goal is to make optimum, ongoing use of available skills in implementing company strategy, which the Human Resources function itself helps to define. Competencies refer to both individual development as the collective dimension of The Company's employees. The HR function includes two dimensions: proximity, closer to the needs on sites, and cross in a more global perspective.
Supervised by operating managers on sites or at headquarters, the Human Resources teams are active in a number of areas:
- Labor relations and labor law, which include support and advice to promote sound relations between management and labor.
- HR administration, covering legislation and contractual issues.
- Human Resources development teams, whose backgrounds qualify them to implement HR planning programs capable of responding to the challenges of organizational issues, working methods and demographic trends. Their work is incorporated into policies in such key areas as recruitment, career management, training and mobility.
- The implementation of incentive policies concerning wages and bonuses, the management of pension and insurance coverage, and the monitoring of the rules / categories applicable to expatriates: compensation and benefits.
- HRIS & Methods teams who ensures data management, data monitoring and data updating.
In a company like TotalEnergies, with operations around the world, Occupational Health Care and Social Assistance can make a very special contribution to the lives of employees, precisely because of the very different conditions in which they work. That's why the work of a physician or social worker based at our headquarters in Paris is very different from that of their counterparts on an offshore facility in Asia or a drilling site in Africa.
- Physicians at our different facilities across the world have a twofold function. Upstream, they recommend and implement protective measures (to deal with disamenities and risks associated with the handling of hazardous products and materials, etc.) and monitor their application in accordance with public health policies and regulations.
- They are supported by nurses and lab assistants, who analyze samples taken from employees in the course of regular medical check-ups. On the frontline, they organize and administer care and support emergency services in the event of a medical emergency or workplace accident.
- Social workers, for their part, make sure that TotalEnergies employees receive help with all their social, personal and family needs. Whenever employees are in difficulty, they seek to resolve the issues in ways that help each individual achieve personal growth and independence.
Internal control and Governance coordinators design and implement the Internal control framework for a given scope – normative framework, organization and delegations of authority, risk management system, financial information assessment system (Sarbanes-Oxley, Loi de Sécurité Financière...) – and ensure its implementation within the information systems. They also monitor the implementation of action plans arising from risk mapping, audits and internal control reviews.
Internal auditors prepare or contribute to preparing audit programs and perform audit missions. They assess the efficiency of governance and risk management system, analyses processes, identify weaknesses and capacity for improvement, issue recommendations and follow-up their implementation. Additionally, they carry out audits of joint ventures and operating companies.
Information & Documentation plays a key role in the decision-making process. The people responsible for collecting, analyzing and distributing information and documentation lie at the core of our business intelligence function.
As soon as a project is conceived, a strategy defined or a course of action determined, Information & Documentation collects as much relevant information as possible. Through this dynamic information watch system, decision-makers are kept abreast of the latest technical, competitive, labor and regulatory developments, thereby allowing them to operate in an optimum environment. The information is obtained from different sources, including the traditional media, the Web, corporate documents and research publications. In fulfilling its mission, the team creates, develops and manages specific document applications. Staff members in charge of administering the electronic information sources are responsible for maintaining the database and developing and updating data processing guidelines. Once the data is sorted, analyzed and summarized, users can access specific information via an interactive keyword or theme search.
The Documentation Management unit functions like a library, receiving, recording and filing information for easy consultation. The Documentation Reception Information team greets visitors and provides them with practical information. It also puts together tip sheets on document applications for both internal and external users.
General Services is the backbone of TotalEnergies' operations across the organization and in all subsidiaries. It consists of the different in-house departments that manage and coordinate company property (facilities, offices, stores, etc.), furniture and equipment, and personnel-related services such as mail, cafeterias and telephone systems. The support services are either provided directly or by third-party partners via a support services contract. General Services contributes to TotalEnergies' seamless day-to-day operation, since it ensures the creation and organization of optimum working conditions necessary for the fulfillment and efficiency of our employees.
General Services covers a host of activities. Receptionists, badges, parking, switchboard operators, mail and photocopying provide employees and visitors with their first look at TotalEnergies. But the department also covers such activities as food services and floral decoration, as well as services of direct concern to TotalEnergies employees, including the travel agency, sport and fitness centers, and drivers.
General Services manages TotalEnergies' entire property portfolio, including administrative matters like rent and lease management. Not only does the department handle building administration, organization and relocation issues, it's also responsible for building equipment (elevators, power, water and air systems) and security (access control, occupant assistance, etc.).
At TotalEnergies, as at any other large organization, secretaries and assistants make an essential contribution to the efficient running of their departments. By serving as critical logistical interfaces between project management and team management, they ensure that information gets to the right people at the right time in all our businesses and on all our sites.
In general, secretaries and assistants are responsible for sorting, filing, producing and presenting a wide variety of documents. They may also specialize in fields like legal affairs, sales or marketing. In this case, it is essential that they understand a department's unique issues and problems, so that they can prepare presentation documents showcasing the department's work. Moreover, in a multinational like TotalEnergies, the ability to work in one or more foreign languages is often compulsory. Secretarial Support personnel are responsible for processing, using and tracking information, sending and receiving mail, organizing employee travel, screening incoming calls and contacting persons inside and outside the company. Efficiency and confidentiality are therefore essential in a job where you may work for a single manager, as is the case for executive assistants, for example.
Support is not specific to a particular profession or department. Whether filing, ensuring document availability or checking data needed to input information, assistants manage all types of electronic and print-based information, so the job requires discipline, organizational skills and computer literacy. More often than not, people in this constantly changing profession play an essential role in the sound running of the company, working at the very hub of our day-to-day activities and projects.